Sunday 17 May 2015

Hello Plymouth!


Well I'm here, and I've finally managed to take a picture of Plymouth without rain!  It turns out that Plymouth is statistically wetter than Manchester...

I have fond memories of holidays in Cornwall as a child, but have not been back to the South West as an adult. 

(If this sentence is the last text visible then click "read more" just below to...read more!  Turns out some people had not realised this before - Mum!  Otherwise just keep reading!)


I arrived in Plymouth on 30th April after a relatively uneventful 6hr journey south from the North West.  When I had reached Bristol and realised I was only 2/3 of the way there, it really hit home how South and West Plymouth really is!

Us four new BASMU (British Antarctic Survey Medical Unit) docs all met for the first time on 1st May and spent the day going over what is in store for us over the next six months and when we head South.  This comprehensive introduction put to shame the woeful NHS induction we had the following week, after which we left with no ID cards, no computer passwords, and still having to do more induction modules online.  I'm still waiting for my ID card two weeks later!

The BASMU team has been very friendly and welcoming.  Us new docs all feel incredibly fortunate and privileged to have this amazing opportunity for training, fantastic team support and ultimately to have big adventure.  That's a lot of superlatives in a poorly constructed sentence, but it really is how we are feeling at the moment.  I'm sure we'll settle down soon!

I've been staying in student accommodation at Marjon University for the short term, and have spent much of the rainy past few weeks flat hunting.  This weekend the weather finally broke, and I headed out for a bit more of an explore.



Dartmoor is only a 30min drive from Plymouth, yet despite being so accessible I managed to walk for much of the day seeing very few people.  The rolling hills of moorland reminded me a little of the Cheviots.  I set off from the village of Postbridge, which apparently has the finest example of a medieval clapper bridge in England.  It certainly made for a nice post walk drink spot.



I went for a little bike ride the following day and started off on a trail that links Plymouth with Dartmoor. Only a short ride away from Derriford and I was on a little country lane looking out towards the hills.  The trail uses an old railway track and there were lots of families out for a ride on this easy gradient.  The scent of wild garlic filled the air, and much of the trail was lined with bluebells.  I was riding into Plymouth this time, but I'll be sure to ride it the other way soon and have a day out on the edge of the moors.



I was lucky enough to see pair of nesting peregrine falcons in Plymbridge woods, and could just about see the fluffy chicks through the National Trust volunteer's telescope.  They are due to leave the nest in 5 weeks or so, and will then be trained to hunt by their parents which will be exciting to watch.



It was Pirate Day down at the Barbican and everyone seemed to be having fun.  I was getting peckish by this point so stopped off for a pastie.  I will be in serious danger of putting on weight if I'm not careful, the pasties round here are simply delicious!



I think I'm going to enjoy living in Plymouth.

In my next blog post I'll talk a little about the training we are doing, and will answer the most oft asked question.....

No comments:

Post a Comment